Kansas State University is a public, 4-year school located in Manhattan, KS, 50 miles west of Topeka. The school, founded as Kansas State Agricultural College in 1863, was the first public institution of higher education in Kansas which had been admitted to the United States just 2 years prior. It was founded as a co-educational school and was only the second public college in the country to admit women. The school’s name was changed to Kansas State College of Agriculture and Applied Science in 1931; in 1959, the legislature changed the name of the school again to Kansas State University of Agriculture and Applied Science, which is its official name. The 650+ acre campus features many buildings constructed before 1910; many buildings use the native limestone in their materials. The architectural style shows the transition from historic through modern and contemporary designs.