The Mississippi University for Women is located on 114 acres in Columbus, MS. Located between Jackson, MS and Birmingham, AL, Columbus sits out of the way (just 65 miles south of Tupelo, MS) and is home to Columbus Air Force Base and other military and tech related industry. Founded in 1884 as Industrial Institute and College for the Education of White Girls, the school became the Mississippi State College for Women in 1920. MUW (as it is referred to) was given its current name in 1974. In 1984 the school admitted men as a result of Supreme Court ruling. Many notable business leaders, educators and scientists have graduated from MUW.