Hendrix College, a private 4-year liberal arts college, was founded in 1876 as Central Institute in Altus, AR. The name was changed to Central Collegiate Institute in 1881, and then after being purchased by the Methodist Church it was renamed in 1889 to Hendrix College in honor of Rev Eugene Russell Hendrix. In 1890 the college moved to Conway, about 30 miles north of Little Rock and is set on 175 acres of beautiful grounds featuring traditional architecture and tree-lined walks and lanes. Three of the campus buildings are included on the National Register of Historic Places. Among the alumni are several politicians, performing artists and business leaders.