The General Education Development (GED) examination is an alternate way to earn an alternative high school diploma equivalency credential and acts as an acceptable designation when applying for –
- Most employment & positions of civil service
- Acceptance to a college, professional school, or university.
The GED resembles the HiSET test in that both have been crafted to evaluate if a test-taker’s academic skills reach the level of an average high school senior. The GED examination is organized into four sections. Each GED section parallels the core academic sections of a traditional, all of which parallel traditional high school curriculums.
Each state has the authority to design its own GED requirements, with some states that allow GED test-takers to be only 16. Still, other states mandate that a 16 year wait until they are 18 (and are no longer a minor) or obtain an age waiver within their state.
The testing service that administers the GED exam offers a comprehensive webpage with hyperlinks to each state’s specific testing requirements.
The GED Testing Service offers a consolidated that allows those interested in taking the GED to confirm the testing requirements of their particular state.
The General Requirements for GED Exams
Each state will set forth its requirements and rules with regard to who is allowed to sit for the GED test. In general, these rules will speak about –
Each state’s GED rules and requirements speak to the following items regarding the test-taker –
- The test-taker’s age.
- The state’s residency requirements, if any.
- Acceptable forms of photo identification.
- What prep courses must be taken, if any.
- The state’s high school enrollment status – does the GED test-taker need to be out of high school for a specific amount of time?
1. Kaplan Test Prep
Since the late 1930s, Kaplan has been considered a long-established GED prep classes provider offering quality preparation courses as well as online training for those getting ready to take their GED exam. Of late, Kaplan is now recognized among the best GED prep course with online options. Kaplan’s live learning experience is an interactive streaming platform that has been developed by Kaplan and the GED Testing Service.
Kaplan’s prep for GED test online learning formula allows students to study for the Math, Science Social Studies and Language Arts sections as follows –
- Attend live ged prep classes from one hour to 90 minutes.
- View recorded classes offered by Kaplan’s online ged ready practice test materials.
- Attend or view classes on a phone, computer, tablet, or any electronic device.
- Personalized help in all subjects, plus emailed questions that are answered in less than one day.
- Study plans are available as follows –
- Math – $59, which includes everything needed to pass the math section of the GED within 45 days.
- Language Arts – $59, which includes everything needed to pass the language arts section of the GED within 45 days.
- All four Subjects – $129, which includes everything needed to pass all four sections of the GED within 90 days.
Mometrix, an A+ company rated by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), is somewhat of the new kid on the block in terms of test preparation services. Founded in 2002, Mometrix specializes in prep for GED test online learning, offering study guides, online courses, and flashcards to assist those studying for the General Education Development (GED) examination.
Mometrix offers its GED Academy, one of the best GED test prep with online options at no cost. However, if a GED student wishes to take their study efforts to the next level, they can purchase Mometrix’s premium study guide. The premium study guide helps guide students preparing for the GED as follows –
- Offering ged ready practice test Bonus Questions through online GED test prep materials.
- Insight and study secrets.
- Scoring insights and explanations.
- Advice on test-taker’s anxiety.
- The GED Reference guide that answers all student questions.
Mometrix stands behind the study products it offers with an ironclad money-back guarantee. If you buy the product and do not get the test results you want, Mometrix will refund the purchase price. Mometrix’ GED Secrets is available as an e-book or a printed book – both for the price of $24.99.
3. Test Prep Tool Kit
Test Prep Tool Kit offers many study options in prep for GED test online learners who are getting ready to ace the GED exam. Test Prep Tool Kit offers free study materials – like practice tests, practice questions, and video lessons – in each subject and is recognized as one of the best GED test prep online programs. In addition, the Test Prep Tool Kit offers these quality study programs, courses, and online GED test prep materials for each of the four GED subjects on the exam.
These include –
- The GED Math Blueprint program for $19.97 (List price is $199.99).
- Tips for Success in studying for the GED exam at no charge.
- Detailed videos provide in-depth training and study materials in math, science, and social studies.
Overall, Test Prep Tool Kit prepares students by offering safe advice like –
- Review each answer and then read the text before committing to a final answer. There are four questions on the GED 0 the multiple-choice, fill in the bland, and drag and drop answers.
4. Official GED Website
The GED Testing Service, in partnership with the American Council on Education (ACOE), began offering the GED exam nationwide in the early 1940s. As the Official GED website, GED Testing Service offers a variety of online GED test prep materials that are available –
- In Spanish or English
GED Testing Service’s recommended products include the following –
- The GED Connections – a comprehensive prep for GED test online learners studying for the Language Arts and Reading sections of the Ged exam. Price – $124.50 – On Sale.
- The GED Academy Online Prep – this best GED Test prep online program acts as an online tutor with more than 20 practice tests and a personalized learning plan. ($35.10).
- Fast Forward – A GED Math Study Guide – a self-paced course that contains lessons, tests, and practice materials.
- The Official GED Test – 1 Subject (by state) – this guide is available in English and Spanish.
- The Official GED Test – All Subject s (by state) – this guide is available in English and Spanish.
Plus, a number of official practice tests for each subject available with same day scoring for only a few dollars.
5. UGO Prep
UGO Prep offers one of the best GED Test prep online programs, as decided by surveying course prep learners. UGO Prep’s online GED test prep materials are the ultimate GED cheat sheet designed by experts who have reduced the average person’s studying behaviors down to a science. Included in UGO Prep’s prep for GED test online learners includes the following –
- Simulated GED examinations.
- Review Guides for Each Subject.
- Full Premium packages for all subjects, or available for each subject that can be purchased a month, 3 months, or lifetime access.
- Online GED Flashcards.
- Audio MP3 Lectures.
- Video Lectures.
- Student support 24 hours per day, seven days a week.
- Available for students in the United States and Canada.
Students can simply sign on with the credentials as there is no software to download or install – which means instant access. Students can complete the comprehensive study package in a few weeks. UGO Prep also offers a variety of free practice tests and questions for GED test-takers.
Pricing for these programs depends on the amount of time the material is available or if the student decides to purchase supplementary study materials. UGO Prep offers an unconditional moneyback guarantee without any questions, and for any reason.
Study.com offers some of the best GED Test prep online programs with a library that nears 80,000 GED lessons available for those studying for their GED exam. The prep for GED test online learners offered by Study.com includes coursework that has been developed by expert instructors with materials that include –
- More than 300 Video lessons and related text transcripts.
- Chapter exams and quizzes throughout the coursework.
- Practice Tests and Thousands of Practice Questions.
Study.com offers a plethora of free online GED test prep materials, plus these GED preparation courses –
- A GED Math Guide covering algebra, arithmetic, and quantitative concepts.
- A GED Social Studies Guide covering US History, civics, government, economics, world, and geography.
- A GED Reasoning through Language Arts.
- A GED Science as a homework resource guide or a course covering chemical, life, and physical sciences.
Additionally, Study.com offers a GED study guide that includes 46 chapters, video lessons, and detailed explanations for answers incorrectly answered on the practice tests.
7. Union Test Prep
Union Test Prep is dedicated to providing quality prep for GED test online learners that provides GED test-takers the edge they need to ace the GED exam. Union Prep’s online GED test prep materials include the following GED study-related products –
- Study Guides – which are offered at no cost for each of the four GED subject test areas.
- Digital Flashcards – which are offered at no cost for each of the four GED subject test areas.
- Online Free Practice Tests – which are offered at no cost for each of the four GED subject test areas.
- Access to online tutors. Fees vary based on tutor selected.
Additionally, as one of the best GED Test prep online programs available in the marketplace, Union Test Prep offers an in-depth look at the GED with the many insightful blog entries regarding the GED exam. These posts offer details regarding –
- Comparing the GED subject tests.
- Learning what accommodations are available for GED test-takers. Accommodations available include extra time, wipe-off boards, or wheelchair accessible.
8. Essential Education
Essential Education is recognized among the best online GED classes offering quality online GED test prep materials as follows –
- The GED High School Equivalency Prep Course – this prep for GED test online learners includes –
- Three prep courses to prepare students for the GED exam.
- 1 career planning course for students to consider while studying for the GED.
- Price – $129 for a one-time payment or $23 per month.
- The GED High School Equivalency Prep Course – Plus the Critical Skill Building
- 3 prep courses to prepare students for the GED exam.
- 1 career planning course for students to consider while studying for the GED.
- 4 Courses regarding how to prepare students to be job-ready. These include courses on how to find a good job, how to interview, and how to work cooperatively and professionally.
- Price – $99 for a one-time payment or $219 per month.
Students studying for the GED have the option of canceling or upgrading at any time. Essential Education offers its students access to our coaches, who can make sure each student is prepared for the exam when the testing day arrives.
Finally, Essential Education offers a variety of free resources for students who are preparing to take the GED exam.
What is the GED Test?
- What is the meaning of GED acronym?
The GED – the General Education Development credential – is an acronym for the original name. The GED exam was initially developed to assist veterans returning home after the end of WWII because there were many high school students who had decided to leave to serve their country before they earned their high school diploma. Up next, What is the GED test?
The GED was developed as an exam that determines if a test-taker’s academic knowledge that meets (or exceeds) the academic skills of the average high school senior. For the past 67 years, more than 20 million individuals have sat for the GED credential and received their alternate high school diploma.
The General Education Development credential test was overhauled in 2014, with a significant modification that ultimately omitted one of the previous version’s subject areas. As such, the revamped GED now includes four fundamental subject areas. In addition, this latest version now has the ability to assess a test-taker’s deep reasoning skills.
Each state makes a unique decision as to whether it accepts the GED credential as a high school diploma alternative. These states may only accept similar credentials like the HiSET, the TASC, and the NEDP. The testing service that administers the GED exam offers a comprehensive webpage with hyperlinks to each state’s specific testing requirements.
What is on the GED Test?
So if the GED is supposed to test for high school education, what is on the GED? The General Education Development credential test is organized into four sections. Each section has been developed to accurately evaluate a test-taker’s aptitude of the core academic subjects found in a typical high school curriculum. The GED’s sections include science, mathematics, language, and social studies.
It is important for students to properly prepare for the General Education Development test if you are to optimize your final GED results. This wise advice is especially true for those who take the test but have not been a student in many years.
Yet, the amount of time that will be needed to properly prepare for the GED varies as each student’s background differs. The amount of time that is required to properly prepare will depend on –
- The test-taker’s retained knowledge and learning aptitude.
- How much time the test-taker has been out of the classroom.
- The subject matter.
Understanding What is on the GED – the Timing & Format
It is incredibly important to properly prepare for the GED exam. This includes understanding how the GED’s format works, and the amount of time you will have to complete each section and the overall test.
Consider these important GED concepts –
- Most questions on the GED exam are multiple-choice, drag and drop, or fill in the blank. However, certain portions of the exam require an essay or written response. These sections include science and social studies.
- Each state has the authority to set forth the GED’s time limits.
- GED test scores are typically available with 24 hours. At times, these scores may be accessible only several hours after the GED exam.
- Many states permit GED test-takers to independently take each section of the test, and in any order.
- Federal student assistance is available to anyone who passes the GED exam.
- Re-Testing – Most states allow test-takers to take two re-tests. However, if a test-taker needs a fourth re-test, there is typically a pre-determined waiting period.
|GED Subject Section||Time Limits For Each Section|
|Science – note, a calculator, is allowed||90 minutes – No Breaks|
|Mathematics – 2 parts – calculator allowed on 2nd part only||115 minutes – Scheduled Breaks|
|Social Studies – calculator allowed||70 minutes – No Breaks|
|Reasoning Through Language Arts||150 minutes – Scheduled Breaks45-minute essay|
|Total Testing Time for GED||425 minutes ~ About 7 hours|
How Do I Pass the GED?
If you are prepping to take the GED exam, make sure you find the answers to these questions –
- How hard is the GED test in general?
- How can I learn how to pass the GED test?
- How hard is it to pass the GED if I have been out of school for some time?
- What is a passing score on the GED?
Test-takers are encouraged to allocate enough time to prepare for the GED test day.
How Hard is the GED Test?
How hard is the GED Test? Consider these important facts about the GED that offer insight into how to pass the GED test.
- All questions on the GED test are multiple-choice – except for essays required in the reading and social studies sections. Additionally, it is noted that there written answers are required in the science section.
- States have the authority to set forth time limits regarding each section and the total test.
- GED test scores are available about a day after the test is completed.
- Test-takers can take the GED two retests, without restriction. A non-pass on a 3rd attempt requires a 2-month waiting period. Note – The GED Testing Service chooses to waive its retesting fees; however, each state sets its retest fees.
- Those who pass the GED are eligible for federal student aid.
How the GED is scored
The following section answers these questions –
- What is a passing score on the GED for each section?
- What is the passing score for the GED overall?
GED Scores Explained
Each section of the GED test – Math, Social Studies, Science, and Reasoning through Language Arts – will be scored separately. These sections are scored as follows and should answer the questions – How hard is the GED test?
- A perfect score on each section of the General Education Development Credential exam is 200 points. Test-takers must score a minimum of 580 on all tests to pass. Each student must score at least 145 points on each test.
- A Score that falls between 175 and 200 points indicates that the test-taker has aptitude for college-level classes. In certain cases, a GED score between 175 and 200 may provide college credits to the test taker; however, any college credits offered will depend on the collegiate program you have chosen to apply. Potentially, though, a GED test-taker could earn –
- 3 credit hours in science for a score that exceeds 175+ on the science portion.
- 3 credit hours in math for a score that exceeds 175+ on the mathematics portion.
- 3 credit hours in social studies for a score that exceeds 175+on the social studies section.
- 1 credit hour in language arts for a score that exceeds 175+ on the language arts part.
Those GED test-takers earning college credits (by acing the GED) will find that may save on tuition and the time required to finish their academic degree.
- A GED score that falls between 165 and 174 points is indicative of a test-taker that is prepared to be successful as a college student. Additionally, a GED score at this level might offer an exemption from remedial work or placement tests.
- A Passing General Education Development credential Score is 145 points or higher on each subject test.
Generally speaking, a test-taker must score 145 or above on each of the four subject area tests on the GED to pass.
Remember, however, that state rules vary. For instance, in New Jersey, a GED test-taker must score at least 150 on all subject tests. Adult learners who score above 170 receive an honors GED diploma.