The College Level Examination Program® (the CLEP test) is administered by the College Board. The College Board was established in 1900 (although CLEP exams began in the late 1960s) to enhance access to available higher education opportunities. Every year, more than 7 million individuals are aided by the college readiness exams offered by the College Board.
The CLEP exam provides a vehicle for students to sit for cost-effective so that they may earn college credit in a broad variety of academic subjects. It’s one of the best things high school senior can do to prepare for college. The CLEP exam can be taken by anyone – citizens and military members – who is interested in
- Earning college credit.
- Saving time.
- Saving money.
Deciding to commit to a well-designed study plan is one of the most effective ways to ensure success when taking the CLEP exam. In fact, there are many best online CLEP test prep services that offer quality study materials – often without any cost to you!
The internet offers many quality best CLEP test prep services to meet your needs. Many of these quality CLEP prep practice materials offer students a moneyback guarantee should the student follow the study plan, but fail the exam.
The College Level Examination Program has been designed to help individuals earn a college degree – inexpensively and efficiently – if the student demonstrates sufficient knowledge in the coursework laid out on the exam. This knowledge is often obtained through advanced high school classes, independent learning, or on-the-job training, among others.
Nearly 3,000 colleges/universities award college level credit for those who pass CLEP exams. It is noted that students who have the ability to earn 15 credits towards their college degree will likely save nearly $5,000 – for those who would be attending a public baccalaureate institution with a tuition of about $17,000.
1. Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a nonprofit organization that offers world-class education to anyone interested – at no cost. In fact, Kahn Academy offers its study and educational materials to students, parents, educators, and school districts, and is recognized as one of the best test prep for the CLEP exam.
Khan Academy’s best CLEP test prep materials are always free. They offer coursework in many of the subjects offered for college credit by the College Level Examination Program exams.
Kahn Academy’s best online CLEP test prep materials offer students a personalized learning experience as they practice at a comfortable pace for them. The coursework provided identifies students’ learning gaps and then accelerates the learning as a student’s knowledge improves.
The content of the coursework provided free across the globe is created by experts that cover topics that include, among others –
- Mathematics from K-12 to early college levels.
- Grammar, to name a few.
Study.com offers some of the best online CLEP test prep materials available. Their best test prep for the CLEP exam study materials have been developed to prepare students for each available College Level Examination Program exam.
Study.com offers more than 30 best CLEP test prep courses in a variety of subjects. In addition, they provide flexible study plans to meet the needs of any student. Their plans include –
- The Premium Edition –offers unlimited access to more than 77,000+ video lessons, homework help from experts, 50,000+ practice tests/questions, and a mobile app. The cost is $59.99 per month.
- The Test Prep Edition –offers full test coverage, plus unlimited access to more than 77,000+ video lessons (with transcripts), practice tests/questions, and a mobile app. The cost is $59.99 per month.
- The College Accelerator Edition – offers the option of earning college credit through online coursework (175+ courses), unlimited access to more than 77,000+ video lessons (with transcripts),– and a mobile app. The cost is $199.99 per month.
Since 2002, InstantCert has been one of the best test prep services for the CLEP exam study organizations available to those getting ready to take a CLEP exam. InstantCert offers more than 25 of the best online CLEP test prep materials available in the education marketplace and was the first to offer CLEP study materials online.
Many of InstantCert’s best CLEP test prep study guides are offers with a 30-day money back guarantee (request must be made within the first 30 days) that is risk-free and unconditional. InstantCert offers two study guide payment plans, as follows –
- A one-time payment of $108.
- $20 per month.
With a subscription with InstantCert, students receive access to –
- Unlimited access to more than 60 study guides.
- Software confirmation of a student’s readiness.
- Audio flashcards.
- Coursework that offers college credits.
- Online and offline access to College Level Examination Program student materials.
Free-CLEP-Prep.com (FCP) was initially designed to assist military personnel at the Guantanamo Bay Station. FCP has evolved into one of the best test prep for the CLEP exam study organizations online from these humble beginnings.
As a result, Free-CLEP-Prep.com’s website now hosts visitors from more than one hundred countries each month – many of those visitors are stationed abroad at United States’ bases overseas. The free best CLEP test prep study guides offered by Free-CLEP-Prep.com are shown below. Examples of credit courses and best online CLEP test prep materials in each category are provided herein.
- Composition & Literature- offers a credit course in College Composition for 6 credits, among others.
- History & Social Sciences- offers a credit course in American Government for 3 credits, among others.
- Science & Mathematics – offers a credit course in Biology for 6 credits, among others.
- Business offers a credit course in Financial Accounting for 3 credits, among others.
- Foreign Languages – offers a credit course in Spanish for 6 -9 credits, among others.
5. Crash Course (YouTube Channel)
Since 2006, Crash Course is a YouTube-based online learning channel that offers high quality educational videos that are available to every individual who has an interest in learning. At present, Crash Course has more than 11 million subscribers who receive weekly videos from Crash Course. With more than 30 online courses, Crash Course has become of the best test prep for the CLEP exam study organizations online.
Clearly, with more than 1.3 billion online views, Crash Course’s free best CLEP test prep study guides are wildly popular. Coursework and the best online CLEP test prep materials include these subjects –
- Organic Chemistry.
- World History.
- Philosophy, among many others.
In addition, Crash Course has partnered with ASU – Arizona State University to offer –
- Study Hall Algebra.
- Study Hall Composition.
6. Modern States Education Alliance
Modern States Education Alliance operates as a nonprofit organization that is devoted to providing free, high-quality college education to anyone interested in earning their degree. Modern States has partnered with the leading online education platform (founded by MIT and Harvard) to offer college-level credit courses – taught by the world’s leading schools and educators.
As one of the best test prep for the CLEP exam study companies, Modern States offers the Freshman Year for Free program that provides students with the opportunity of earning up to a year of college credit with the expense of tuition.
Among the best online CLEP test prep materials offered by Modern State, are more than 30 CLEP courses. Each of these courses includes access to –
- Quizzes & Tests.
- Textbooks, at no cost.
These best CLEP test prep study courses have been developed to prepare students for many of the CLEP tests that are offered by the College Board.
Since 2002, Momentrix has been offering some of the best online CLEP test prep materials to allow each student to maximize their true potential. Momentrix offers more than 3,400 education products that prepare students to take more than 1,500 standardized tests through their well-designed website.
Momentrix offers more than 30 of the best CLEP test prep study courses regarding coursework most students finish during their freshman and sophomore years in school. Among the best test prep for the CLEP exam materials offered by Momentrix, you will find –
- Study Guides that prepare students for the CLEP exam for which they are planning to sit. This includes practice tests, questions, and helpful study hints.
- A Flashcard Study System breaks down complex concepts into easily understood material.
- Online coursework that includes both a study guide and a flashcard system.
- All of Momentrix’s products are sold with a money back guarantee for one-year.
Since the mid 1960s, Petersons, headquartered in Colorado, is recognized among the world’s best online CLEP test prep companies offering high-quality study materials for a low monthly fee. These best test prep for the CLEP exam materials offered by Petersons are available to students, educators, school administrators, military service members, and students’ parents.
Petersons offers some of the best CLEP test prep study courses through these three subscription plans –
- Monthly subscribers pay $49 per month.
- Monthly subscribers – agreeing to a three-month subscription, pay $45 per month.
- Monthly subscribers – agreeing to a six-month subscription, pay $39 per month. This is the best value package.
Included in Peterson’s online CLEP study options are –
- Expert Guidance.
- Personalized study materials, including videos, flashcards, and practice tests, among others. Utilize Petersons platform to stay on track and ranks your confidence level throughout.
- 24/7 online access through Peterson’s desktop and mobile app options.
9. College Board
The College Board, the entity that administers the CLEP exam, offers some of the best CLEP test prep study courses in the marketplace. The College Board offers 34 of the best test prep for the CLEP exam materials and tests in the areas of –
- Business – with five College Level Entrance Program exams.
- Mathematics & Science – with seven College Level Entrance Program exams.
- Composition & Literature – with six College Level Entrance Program exams.
- World Languages – with eight levels of College Level Entrance Program exams
- History & Social Sciences – with twelve College Level Entrance Program exams.
Each of the CLEP credit-granting exams has a cost of $89, with the options of including a 2021 CLEP Official Study Guide for another $25 or an Exam Guide for $10. In addition, the College Board offers a variety of online resources to help students ace the exam.
As one of the best online CLEP test prep companies, the College Board offers the ability to schedule the CLEP exam, determine if a student’s school accepts the College Level Entrance Program exam, plus information for military service members at no cost.
SpeedyPrep is the brainchild of Exam Test Prep and one of the best online CLEP test prep companies available online. These best test prep for the CLEP exam materials are available with a 100% moneyback guarantee that if a student fails the exam and has a SpeedyPrep progress bar at 90%+, they will receive a full refund.
SpeedyPrep’s best CLEP test prep study courses are available as follows –
- A monthly subscription of $29/month that provides –
- Unlimited access to all courses.
- Mobile App
- Facebook Study Group
- Progress Bar that determines a student’s readiness.
- Links to open courseware, among others.
- A free membership to Making Education Possible
- A quarterly subscription of $71.99/quarter – includes all the features of the monthly subscription.
- A yearly subscription of $215.64/year – for the most savings and all features.
What is the CLEP Exam?
If you are preparing to attend a college level academic program, it is essential to answer these questions-
- What is the CLEP exam?
- What is the CLEP exam for?
CLEP test is a set of exams that assess a CLEP exam taker’s knowledge in more than 30 subjects.
The College Level Exam Program – CLEP is a set of tests that evaluate a test-taker’s introductory knowledge in more than 30 subject areas. The CLEP exams’ objective is to discern if a student already possesses the aptitude/knowledge in a specific subject – and if they do, award college credit for this knowledge – prior to taking the course.
The College Level Exam Program tests provide a viable option for those students who wish to earn their college degree in the most efficient and least expensive manner. In other words, the CLEP test provides students an opportunity to cash-in on the knowledge they possess. Most colleges and universities established their minimum scores when determining which students may be awarded college credit when submitting an application.
Students sitting for College Level Entrance Program exams are afforded an average of 90 – 120 minutes per exam. Most CLEP tests are multiple-choice tests – with computerized scores, offered at more than 2,000 official testing sites throughout the country; however, the writing based CLEP tests are scored by college professors – hand-picked by the College Board – every two weeks.
What is the CLEP Test?
The CLEP test is the right college-credit vehicle for these purposes –
- If the college/university, you have applied to accepts CLEP exam results.
- If a student believes they possess sufficient knowledge in the subject area.
- If the College Level Entrance Program exam subject fulfills the degree’s requirements.
- If the student is interested in saving time and money earning their academic degree.
Is the CLEP Exam Hard?
As you consider you CLEP exam options, you have likely asked yourself –
- What is the easiest CLEP exam to pass?
- What is the easiest CLEP exam?
The reality is studying requires students to integrate many different concepts. But it also requires the appropriate application of this knowledge to the CLEP testing circumstances. So, as a result – the answer to the question – What is the easiest CLEP exam to take? – depends heavily on the student and the student’s willingness to commit to a well-designed study plan.
And while testing tips and tricks are important, none of these short-cut study methods can replace the need to study for the College Level Entrance Program exam appropriately. Even if you are confident and comfortable with a subject’s content, it still behooves each student to brush-up on fundamental concepts and key terms.
Students are encouraged to use study material specifically created for students preparing to sit for a CLEP test to save time. For example, a business textbook delves into the essential details of business management principles; however, a well-crafted CLEP study manual or guide cuts through the unnecessary details (with regard to the CLEP test) and teaches students how to prepare for the what will be covered on the CLEP exam.
The College Level Entrance program exams are offered in a variety of subjects, as follows –
- Composition & Literature
- American Literature.
- English Literature.
- Interpreting Literature.
- College Composition and College Composition Modular.
- World Languages.
- Spanish – Levels 1 & 2.
- German – Levels 1 & 2.
- French – – Levels 1 & 2.
- Spanish with writing – Levels 1 & 2.
- History & Social Sciences.
- American Government.
- Social Sciences & History.
- History of US – Levels 1 & 2.
- Western Civilization – Levels 1 & 2.
- Human Growth & Development.
- Principles of Macro- and Microeconomics.
- Intro to Educational Psychology.
- Science & Mathematics.
- Natural Sciences.
- College Math.
- College Algebra.
- Introduction to Business Law.
- Financial Accounting.
- Information Systems.
How to Pass the CLEP Exam?
Students often begin their studying routing by taking a practice College Level Entrance Program test– to set forth a baseline score from which they can determine the level of improvement over time. Then, they study for a while, and – when they have completed studying the majority of the test’s content, they take a practice test to gauge how their studying has impacted their scores.
How to Pass the CLEP test?
In addition, College Level Entrance Program practice exams help students identify areas in need of improvement and gaps in a student’s knowledge in any one particular subject. For example, if you are studying for CLEP’s biology test, you most likely understand the mechanics at a cellular level. However, a practice may help reveal that you do not have sufficient comprehension regarding how mitochondria function.
The College Board – the CLEP designers and administrators offer sample CLEP questions on their website –
What is the Passing Score for a CLEP Test?
The American Council on Education (ACE) recommends that colleges and universities employ a credit-granting score of 50 for each College Level Entrance Program (CLEP) exam. It is noted that this score represents the Grade C in the associated college course. The calculations for this grade is as follows –
A 50 score out of a possible 80 calculates to a grade of 63% (50/80 =62.5% – rounded 63%).
The interesting thing about the CLEP exam is that the transcript will only note a ‘P’ for passing – whether a student scores a 50 or a perfect score! And because CLEP tests cover significant amounts of concepts, students are not expected to ace these exams or be an expert – but demonstrate enough knowledge to earn college-level credit.
CLEP exams are designed by education and testing specialists. The material is pulled from many sources, so it is possible that a student may encounter material they are unfamiliar with. If this happens, take a deep breath, stay positive, and at a minimum, try to answer the question with the process of elimination to optimize your chances of answering the question correctly.
Look for Hints Within Questions
Most standardized tests provide clues or hints from one question to another. These hints are not always obvious, but sometimes one question can provide a clue to another question’s answer – so pay attention!
For example, one question might inquire about the government branch that is tasked with the responsibility of interpreting the law. Then, further along in the exam, a question may ask – The judicial branch of the government derives its power to interpret laws based on which court cases? Clearly, the 2nd question has outlined the answer to the first question; but note, it is rare to find anything this blatant. However, questions on similar content can – and often does give test-takers hints.
The CLEP Retest Policies
It is noted that if you need to retake any College Level Entrance Program exam, you must wait a minimum of 3 months from the initial testing date. If you take the test too early (before this 3 month waiting period), the score will be invalid, and testing fees will be forfeited.