Coding bootcamps are one of the hottest things in higher education, but many potential students wonder whether they need to pay at all to learn coding. Is it possible to learn coding – real coding that you can take into a career – for free?
If you need help in terms of learning coding for free online, there are plenty of options. Either way, whether or not you actually learn coding for free entirely depends on you. Therefore, if you want to know how to learn coding for free, you should do the following:
- A Computer, Tablet, or Smartphone: The first thing you need to learn how to code online is a computer, tablet, or smartphone in order to have somewhere to log in to the website or app.
- Great Timeline Management: Another thing you need is great timeline management skills. This is because, in order to truly learn any subject, you should be engaging with the material on a very regular basis. And since the course is online, it is entirely up to you to create a schedule and stick to it.
- Good Reading Comprehension: You also need good reading comprehension skills to learn to code online. This is because the majority of your lessons will be administered in written form. Therefore, you must be able to read the materials, understand what you read, and retain the information.
- A Suitable Study Area: Another thing you need to learn coding online for free is a suitable study area. This area should be a quiet place where you can sit comfortably for hours without being interrupted. It should have a good WiFi signal, great lighting, and a comfortable place for you to sit. If you do not have a whole room to use, try sectioning off a particular area for your studies.
- Motivation: Motivation is also an essential tool to allow you to be successful in learning coding online. This is because, unlike when you are taking classes in person, you will have the task of keeping yourself on task. Therefore, you should find the best ways to get and stay motivated.
- Basic Technical Capacity: You should also have at least a basic technical capacity. This is because learning things online can mean that you have to use certain types of software and tools in order to learn. Therefore, having a good technical understanding is important to be able to learn coding online for free.
- Determination: Lastly, you need to have a sense of determination. This is because learning how to code can be difficult and tedious, especially at first. However, if you stick with it, it will get easier and easier over time.
Where Can I Learn to Code for Free?
If you are wondering if you can learn to code for free online, the answer is yes. There are several options to learn to code for free. Some of the options to learn coding for free online are:
- Code Conquest
- GA Dash
- Khan Academy
- MIT OpenCourseWare
- And many more
- freeCode Camp
This varied list of free coding resources offers everything from a few short lessons to extensive coding programs, all for free. However, keep in mind that some also offer paid services. So, you definitely want to make sure you are searching for the free options before signing up. Otherwise, you may be signing up for free trials, which will charge your account once the trial period has ended.
How much is Coding Bootcamp?
If you are interested in learning how to code via a coding bootcamp, you will likely have to pay for that. In particular, the average cost of a coding bootcamp is approximately $13,584 for in-person training and $12,898 online. This is because coding bootcamps are highly in demand. These programs has received rave reviews and is highly revered for being one of the most thorough and educational coding programs online. However, there are some exceptions when it comes to this.
For instance, some community colleges offer coding bootcamp courses. In addition, many community colleges offer sponsored courses, which allows them to offer the courses at a discounted rate. These courses are an average of around $3,000. Therefore, you could potentially learn this material for much less than you would pay by enrolling in the course online directly.
Additionally, if you are wondering how to learn to code for free online, some students are eligible for free Coding Bootcamp courses. This is often due to financial aid and other programs that were created to help those who may be struggling financially. So, if you can prove that you meet a certain criteria, you can gain entrance into some of these programs for free. Otherwise, you may need to opt to take one of the free courses listed above.