Wheeling Jesuit University is a private, 4-year Roman Catholic school located in Wheeling, WV. The school was founded in 1954 by a partnership between the Maryland Society of Jesus and the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston as Wheeling College. In 1987 the school was renamed Wheeling Jesuit College; it reached University status in 1996. The University is a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities. The 65 acre campus features traditional collegiate red brick architecture with several open areas and green spaces. The campus sits just 3 miles from downtown Wheeling and the Ohio River in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.