Halfway between Washington, DC and Richmond, VA is Fredericksburg, home to the University of Mary Washington. This public 4-year school was founded in 1908 as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Fredericksburg. In 1938, it became Mary Washington College, named for George Washington’s mother, Mary Ball Washington. In 1944, the school aligned with the University of Virginia (which did not admit women into general academic programs) and remained as a part of UVA until they transitioned to co-ed status is 1970. It separated from UVA in 1972 and was given its current name in 2004. The 176 acre campus, filled with Georgian and Jeffersonian architecture, sits very close to the site of the Battle of Fredericksburg (1862) in the Marye’s Heights section of town.