Calvin College, a private 4-year school is located in Grand Rapids, MI. It was founded in 1876 by the Christian Reformed Church in North America as Calvin College and Theological Seminary and named for the Reformer, John Calvin. In 1901, Calvin admitted the first women to the school; in 1906 it was known as John Calvin Junior College. The campus was relocated to its present location in 1973 after purchasing the grounds in 1956. The center point of the 400 acre campus is the Chapel, sitting on the highest point in the academic circle. Its octagonal shape and ‘in the round’ seating arrangement cause it to stand out on campus; services are held daily, each with a specific focus. Along with miles of pathway and greenways is a tunnel that connects three of the buildings, providing safe, comfortable passage in cold or stormy weather.